Our teeth are one of our best features and say a lot about our smiles. Crooked, disarrayed teeth can often affect someone’s self-confidence, thereby making them conscious about smiling. With more people embracing orthodontics, there is a growing need to move away from conventional braces and look for something that treats the different irregularities of the teeth and is aesthetically pleasing. This is where teeth aligners can be of help. Let us read more about aligners for teeth and how they can revolutionize dentistry.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
- What are Aligners?
- Types of Aligners
- Who is the Right Candidate for aligners?
- How do they Work?
- Benefits of Aligners
- Aligners Vs Braces
- How much does it cost?
1. What are Aligners?
A great modern alternative to traditional braces, teeth aligners treat teeth and jaw irregularities by putting them back in proper positions. Using gradual force to control the movement, aligners for teeth are customized for every person using a digital scan. It does not use metal wires or brackets in its design. Instead, clear teeth aligners are made of plastic. Typically, teeth aligners are made of a special kind of strong plastic that can help straighten teeth, just like conventional braces do. Anyone experiencing irregularities in the teeth can wear teeth aligners. One aligner can be worn for at least three to four weeks before it needs to be replaced by a new one.
Also commonly known as Invisible braces or clear aligners, teeth aligners are the most advanced types of braces that have changed the face of orthodontics. In addition to being almost unnoticeable, they also reduce the use of other orthodontic appliances to treat the teeth.
2. Types of Aligners
There are different types of aligners for teeth that a person can choose from. This will typically depend upon the condition of their teeth, the irregularities as well as the person’s preferences. Some of the types of teeth aligners that one can choose from include:
- INVISALIGN®: This is one of the very first aligners created in the world. Created by Align Technology in the 1990s, Invisalign is amongst the most famous and commonly used clear teeth aligners. Used by people of all ages, an Invisalign aligner is made using cutting-edge 3D printing technology. This aligner is known to treat various orthodontic cases and offers a comfortable and more accurate treatment.
3. Who is the Right Candidate for aligners?
Anyone experiencing malalignment in teeth can opt for teeth aligners. However, you are the right candidate for invisible aligners for teeth if you experience the following conditions:
- DIASTEMA: If you have gaps between your teeth
- OVERBITE OR DEEP BITE: If the front teeth in your upper jaw overlap the ones in the lower jaw
- CROWDED OR CROOKED TEETH: If your teeth are crowded and not aligned properly
- OPEN BITE: If your front teeth in the upper and lower jaw are slanted outwards and do not meet when you close your mouth
- MALALIGNMENT OF THE PRIMARY TEETH: If children between the age of 6 to 10 years require space between the present baby teeth and the developing permanent teeth
4. How do they Work?
The functioning of teeth aligners is similar to conventional braces. It is the design of aligners for teeth that is different from them. Created using modern technology and strong, durable plastic, clear aligners for teeth are customized for every person.
To make teeth aligners, the orthodontist first examines the upper and lower jaws. They also check the placement of the teeth using an X-Ray or digital scan. To do so, they use special software to design customized aligners for the patient.
In many cases, clear aligners for teeth are created after being scanned on a digital device, and accurately replicate a person’s dental structure. After slight repositioning and adjusting, the aligner is placed inside the mouth.
Dental aligners must be worn for at least 20 to 22 hours every day to get the best results. A set of invisible teeth aligners needs to be replaced after every two to four weeks, depending on the changes in the structure of the teeth.
However, unlike braces, aligners do not require any specific restrictions regarding food and drinks. The time taken to straighten your teeth using aligners varies from person to person, which depends on the total number of teeth that require movement or rotation. Typically, it takes anywhere between 10 months to 2 years to straighten the teeth completely using invisible teeth aligners.
5. Benefits of Aligners
Aligners are an excellent option for people who want straighter teeth without wearing metal braces. Compared with traditional metal braces, these plastic aligners or invisible aligners for teeth have various advantages. Some of the significant benefits of aligners for teeth include:
- Aligners can be removed during brushing and flossing after meals
- One can also easily maintain and clean teeth aligners
- Unlike metal braces, aligners do not irritate the gums and cheeks
- Aligners can help to prevent grinding and eventual tooth wear
- You can also remove aligners before or during a snack or meals
- Aligners for teeth are a great option for stimulating healthier periodontal ligaments and tissues
- Teeth aligners also promote self-confidence in a person without worrying about the apparent presence of braces
- They are also very comfortable to wear
6. Aligners Vs Braces
Aligners are quite different from braces. There are clear differences between the two, from their usage and visibility to their comfort and removability, in addition to the following
- While traditional metal braces are very noticeable, teeth aligners are difficult to spot and remain relatively unnoticeable.
- A person can remove their aligners during meals or while brushing and flossing. In contrast, braces cannot be removed.
- Aligners are customized for every individual, and therefore, fit perfectly on the teeth, while braces can cause certain abrasions and pain in the teeth.
- Teeth aligners cost more than traditional metal braces.
7. How much does it cost?
Typically, teeth aligners cost anywhere between INR 1,50,000 to INR 3,50,000 for the complete treatment. However, the clear aligners cost in Delhi may vary according to the orthodontist, their specialty, the clinic, the location of the clinic, and other factors. To get the best orthodontic treatment, it is advisable to understand the type of aligners, the availability of experienced specialists to provide the treatment, as well as the overall clear aligners cost in Delhi.
The factors which affect the overall clear aligners cost in Delhi include:
- Number of aligner sets required for the treatment
- The severity of the issues in the teeth (level of crookedness, etc.)
- Complete oral health of the patient
- Overall treatment time
- Fees of the dentist/orthodontist
- The experience of the orthodontist
- The clinic fees
In conclusion, aligners for teeth are among the most modern and popular ways to treat malaligned teeth and their irregularities. At Dr. Varun Grover’s Clinic, you can expect the best-in-class orthodontic treatment, along with top-notch care.
They use the best equipment to make invisible aligners for teeth and guarantee your safety and comfort. The clinic is equipped with experienced professionals who are qualified to take care of all your dental needs. Treatment of teeth aligners here will not only be according to your preferences but also meet your aesthetic concerns at affordable costs.