If you're all set to get braces, Congratulations! Undoubtedly, teeth braces will help you walk one step closer to the beautiful, gorgeous smile you have always dreamt of. You may have lots of questions and doubts leading up to the big day on how to prepare yourself for the dentist's appointment, how to manage teeth braces, what to eat with dental braces, and more. This is exactly what this article is going to help you with.
Table Of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
- You may feel uncomfortable for the first few weeks
- You will see changes in the first month itself
- Food may get stuck in your braces
- Avoid whitening products
- Retainer is Important
- Smoothies will make your life easy
- Oral Hygiene Maintenance is necessary
- Don’t miss your appointments
- Don’t panic if your teeth feel loose sometimes
- Be Patient
1. You may feel uncomfortable for the first few weeks
There is no denying the fact that you may experience discomfort for the first few days or weeks after fitting teeth braces. Your bite will experience a change and the gums and teeth may sore. Adding to your woes, you may notice difficulty in tasting all the foods that you love. However, these troubles generally subside on their own within no time.
2. You will see changes in the first month itself
Having wires and brackets in the mouth is generally not a pleasant experience for most people who opt for dental braces in the initial days. It does take some time to become accustomed to braces. In the early days after braces, you may feel and look totally different.
Some patients feel like their lips are sticking out more or their facial appearance has changed a lot. While others may experience mild ache and sensitivity in their jaws and teeth. However, any pain or discomfort can be efficiently managed by taking over-the-counter pain medications and eating soft foods.
3. Food may get stuck in your braces
No matter how many precautions you take, food is bound to get caught in teeth braces. It's just unavoidable! That's the reason you need to brush after every meal to prevent cavities and maintain high standards of oral hygiene. It is best to carry a travel toothpaste and toothbrush along with travel interproximal brushes and a compact mirror whenever you leave the home. This will help you check the teeth braces after meals and get rid of any food stuck in the brackets and wires.
Foods to embrace
- Mashed potatoes
- Scrambled eggs
- Soft fruits
- Soft cheeses
- Soft or cooked vegetables
- Moist desserts
Foods to avoid
- Sticky foods such as caramels, licorice, toffee, and chewing gum
- Crunchy nuts such as crunchier chips, hard candies, and nuts
- Overly chewy foods such as gummy candy and beef jerky
- Spicy or citrus foods
- Thick meat cuts
- Thick bread or rolls
- Pizza crust
- Hard crackers
- Crunchy fruits and vegetables
4. Avoid whitening products
You should avoid whitening products with teeth braces, as the brackets of the braces are bonded to the teeth. The solution of whitening products will lighten the exposed areas that will leave you with a two-toned smile once you are done with the treatment. Moreover, these products have a habit of increasing tooth sensitivity for some people and that is the last thing they want when teeth are getting displaced. All in all, it is best to avoid whitening products with teeth braces.
5. Retainers are Important
Maintaining the correct teeth position in the jaws with retainers is critical after orthodontic treatment. Retainers protect the teeth against wear and treat from grinding and keep them in the desired position. The absence of retainers or not using them according to the dentist's instructions can shift back the teeth back into their old placement.
6. Smoothies will make your life easy
Smoothies will be your best foods to have with your braces on. This is simply due to the fact that smoothies can be made quickly and easily with a wide range of ingredients to keep the boredom away from the meals. You have the complete liberty of adding different juices, fruits, and vegetables for customizing the flavor and texture.
If this is not all, you can even enhance the smoothies by adding powders like protein, daily vitamins, and caffeine. Additionally, you can opt for soy milk, almond milk, or sweetened coconut milk. If you have a sweet tooth and are struggling with sore teeth from dental braces, you can try out a delicious smoothie with an ice cream base.
7. Oral Hygiene Maintenance is necessary
Creating and maintaining high standards of oral hygiene is a prerequisite when it comes to caring for teeth braces.
- It is important for you to brush your teeth properly for at least 2-3 minutes, thrice a day, (preferably after every meal) using a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- You must give extra attention and care to the spaces around the teeth braces and ensure that all food traces are timely removed. For this, you can use floss for cleaning between the teeth or a floss threader for removing food particles between wires and braces.
- It is important for you to have regular checkups with the orthodontist and dentist for oral hygiene.
- Regular orthodontist appointments can go a long way to ensure that the teeth braces are properly fitted.
- You may try using fluoride mouthwash after having a word with your orthodontist. This will reduce the risk of tooth decay and help strengthen your teeth.
8. Don’t miss your appointments
Orthodontists and dentists put a lot of value to help their patients understand the importance of oral hygiene and the complexities of dental treatments. In other words, they will always be happy to help, if you want to ask, discuss, and understand anything you are curious about or don't understand. You can even have a word with them about different options like metal braces, ceramic braces, invisible braces, transparent braces, orthodontic braces, lingual braces, and the best braces for teeth.
In short, your dental visits will be the first and foremost step in the journey towards a new, beautiful smile that you surely want to last a lifetime.
The estimated teeth braces cost in Delhi is about INR 20,000-40,000. The final braces cost in Delhi may vary according to the type of braces, the success rate of the dental clinic, etc. It is important that you have complete clarity about braces treatment in Delhi to make an informed decision.
9. Don’t panic if your teeth feel loose sometimes
It is perfectly normal for teeth to start shifting and feel loose within the first two or three days after the dental braces are placed. In fact, it is the normal tooth movement pattern and the basic method by which teeth tend to move with the help of braces. There is nothing to worry about!
10. Be Patient
Results may vary from one person to another and may take a while. So, you have to be patient.
At Dr. Varun Grover's Clinic, we help every patient achieve the best results and reach as close to their expectations as possible. Our teams of dentists and orthodontic experts design custom, specialized dental treatment plans to suit the unique orthodontic requirements of every patient.
Undoubtedly, dental braces are life-savers for patients who want to straighten crooked teeth, improve smile aesthetics, and align lower and upper jaws. More than anything, they improve the ability to chew food, reduce the risk of periodontal diseases and cavities, and minimize grinding and chipping of teeth.
At Dr. Varun Grover's Clinic (Shivam dental clinic derawal nagar), you will get the best dental treatment and good aftercare at an affordable cost.
2^ Food may get stuck in your braces | Healthline.com | February 12, 2021